How to Apply For Financial Aid
Step 1: Gather the documents you will need
- Your Social Security Number
- Your drivers license (if any)
- Your W-2 Forms and other records of money earned from the prior year (ex. For 2010-11, use 2009 W-2)
- Your (and your spouse if you are married) Federal Income (or Foreign) Tax Return (ex. For 2011-12, use 2010 1040)
- Your parents prior year Federal Income Tax Return (dependent students only) (ex. For 2011-12, use 2009 1040)
- Your untaxed income records for appropriate year
- Veterans benefits records
- Child support received
- Workers compensation
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
For a FAFSA document checklist that can help you prepare, click here.
Step 2: Obtain a PIN
The next step is to obtain a Personal Identification Number or PIN. You will use this PIN code each year to access your Federal Student Aid records online, and apply for Financial Aid. You do not have to obtain a PIN if you plan on mailing your paperwork, but it is highly recommended to speed up the process and track your application.
To Apply for a Federal Student Aid PIN: Federal Student Aid PIN
Step 3: Fill out FAFSA
In order to determine your eligibility you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Eligibility is determined by your financial situation. Almost every student is eligible for some form of financial aid regardless of income or circumstances, provided that you:
- are a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or an eligible non-citizen
- have a valid Social Security Number
- have a high school diploma or GED
- are registered with the U.S. Selective Service (if you are a male aged 18-25)
- complete a FAFSA promising to use any federal aid for educational purposes
- do not owe refunds on any federal student grants
- are not in default on any student loans
- have not been found guilty of the sale or possession of illegal drugs during a period in which federal aid was being received
Free Application for Federal Student Aid: Application for Federal Student Aid
IMPORTANT: All students should check with their school’s financial aid office to determine their exact FAFSA deadlines and requirements.
IMPORTANT: Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, so you should never give your PIN to anyone, including commercial services that offer to help you complete your FAFSA. Be sure to record and keep your PIN in a safe place.
Step 4: Your Student Aid Report (SAR)
After your FAFSA is processed, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) with all of the financial information you provided. Review this document carefully and make any necessary corrections. You will need your PIN to do so.
The SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is used to determine your eligibility for financial aid during one school year. Your school will receive an electronic copy of the SAR and use this information to decide how much financial aid you are eligible to receive.
If you have been selected for verification, please submit the following to the Adventist University (formerly Florida Hospital College) Financial Aid Office:
- Signed 1040 and W2 Forms
- Verification Worksheet
Step 5: Review Your Account
Go to https://my.adu.edu
Step 6: Determine Your Options
Congratulations, you have made it through the Financial Aid Application process. You will now know how much assistance in federal loans and/or grants you are eligible for. It is at this point in the process where you can choose how much money you would like to accept and/or explore other funding options.
IMPORTANT: Keep track of all deadlines and required paperwork. If you have any questions contact your financial aid advisor at http://adu.edu/financialinformation/financialaidinformation/financialaidcounselors.
671 Winyah Drive
Orlando, Florida 32803
Phone: (407) 303-6963 Fax: (407) 303-7680 Email: email@example.com